Campers ages 14 and older are invited to participate in the Counselor-In-Training (CIT) Program. This program is an amazing opportunity to learn teamwork, responsibility, and the satisfaction that accompanies a job well done. The CIT program is a unique opportunity for teens to develop these important skills and gain experience that looks great on employment and college applications, all while having an awesome time meeting teens from all over San Diego. CITs not only help creating outstanding experiences for our campers, they develop many amazing memories of their own. CITs are integral in the success of our camp and have a great time while doing it too!
Rate: $150 per week
- Be at least 14 years old at the time of service
- Have attended The Watersports Camp as a camper prior to their week(s) of participation
- Attend one of the CIT training dates in spring
This program is extremely popular and is subject to space availability so sign up early!
Information for Returning CITs
Returning CITs do not need to attend training and can register at https://watersportscamp.com/cit beginning in February. If you have additional questions please email us at [email protected] or call us at (858) 539-2003.
Information for New CITs
We invite campers ages 14 to 17 that meet the above eligibility requirements to become a Counselor-In-Training at the Watersports Camp. All new CITs MUST attend one of the CIT Trainings below. Special pricing consideration is given to CITs who are sailing qualified, or who become sailing qualified.
The CIT Training prepares NEW CITs for the responsibilities and duties of becoming a CIT. They will learn the expectations and responsibilities of being a CIT, the CIT code of conduct, and what it means to be part of a hard-working and dynamic team while at camp. CITs will also receive training on the duties and responsibilities of being an observer for towed watersports and will learn to help with rigging sailboats.
New CIT candidates must select one of the CIT training dates listed below during registration.
CIT Training Dates
- Saturday, May 16 - 9AM-12PM
- Saturday, June 13 - 9AM-12PM
- Sunday, June 28 - 9AM-12PM
SAILING QUALIFICATION Optional
CITs who are, or become, sailing qualified are a valuable part of the program and are given a special discounted weekly rate. Sailing Qualified CITs assist with the afternoon sailing activity by helping set up boats and by giving sailing rides to campers. Afternoon sailing is one of the most popular CIT activities, especially for those who love to sail!
To become sailing qualified a CIT will need to meet the minimum skills requirement listed below prior to attending the sailing assessment.
- Have previously completed Basic Sailing, Advanced Sailing, and Hobie Cat Sailing Camp at The Watersports Camp -or-
- Complete MBAC Youth Basic Sailing and MBAC Youth Adventure Sailing or Advanced Sailing Camp prior to assessment. These classes can be selected during CIT registration and are offered at a 50% discounted rate. Additionally, CITs planning to attend sailing camp during the spring or summer camp weeks can choose to participate as a CIT in the afternoon at no additional cost! See Sailing Class Options below for a list of upcoming class and camp opportunities.
The Sailing Assessment will evaluate the sailor's skills and provide them training for afternoon sailing camp. Once a CIT is sailing qualified they are set for additional summers of participation and do not need to re-qualify.
Sailing Assessment Dates
- Saturday, May 16 - 12:30PM-3:30PM
- Saturday, June 13 - 12:30PM-3:30PM
- Sunday, June 28 - 12:30PM-3:30PM
CITs must register online using the link below. CIT registration is not available in the standard camp registration form.
Sailing Class Options
Below is a list of the upcoming class opportunties with a discounted option for CITs looking to become sailing qualified. Spaces in these activities are limited so register early!
**CITs planning to attend sailing classes during one of the week-long spring or summer camps can select to participate as a CIT in the afternoon at no additional cost!